Thursday, November 01, 2012

food diary day 1

I'm starting to count calories again (stupidest time of year to do it, but i really want to start trying to lose weight and start running again). I figure that at work I am probably burning 155-297 calories per hour. On a busy Saturday shift i burn up to 2700 calories! Today was a little slow but I also put bags out and rang up some big orders so I probably burned 1800 calories. I used Calories Burned Calculator to figure that out by putting in my weight. Standing quietly (standing in a line) for when its slow and Wash dishes, standing for when its fast. Today i was a little out of breath while putting the bags out, and i do lift a lot of weight over the course of a day with my arms.

Some people would consider this to be "cheating" and i do know that i need to actually work out. However, i am very aware that my work takes a toll on my body! I am frequently sore midway through a shift, on a good day about i'm sore 3/4 of the way through.  I stand for 8-10 hours per shift with an occasional 5-7 hour shift thrown in as my "light" day. And if i count calories and eat as if i am not on my feet all day then i end up starving and give up. I don't know if i should count all of these calories as exercise, but i clearly need to count some of them.

Last night i read an Instructable about How to Lose Weight (well, to be fair...i skimmed it). One of its tips was to blog about your progress so you have some accountability. I don't want to join a support group, but i do know it helped to read other people's blogs when i was starting to run and train for my first triathlon. I'm hoping that next summer i will be ready to compete in another Sprint...God willing.

No comments: