Tuesday, August 30, 2005

back to school rundown

Well, Friday the 19th i got what was left of my scholarship money and felt rich... for a few hours. My books cost $400 this semester (the past two they've only cost $300-350) and i owed people money and needed to buy some other supplies so it was gone by noon. I'm really happy with the shoes i got: genuine leather Sneaux skater sneaks on sale for $40 ($55-65 normally). Sneaux is pronounced "snow" and they look sweet; light grey with an orange logo on the side and two sets of laces (one pair grey, one pair orange, which i'm using right now). They're comfie except for working out, in which case they're not uncomfortable, they just feel weird.

Megan and i spent the weekend of the 20th and 21st in Denver at the Women of Faith conference. The room we got was pretty good and a great price. The traffic was terrible. The conference was okay but not the same or as good as the ones i've been to in the past. Sheila Walsh spoke to me the most strongly. Patsy Clairmont is still hilarious. I didn't enjoy Marilyn Meberg or Luci Swindoll as much as usual. It was very strange for me to listen to Avalon because Michael Passons isn't in the group anymore (i met him at Glorieta two summers and sang in choirs that he led).

My first week back at school was very stressful. I had hoped to work in the costume shop but there were no work study opportunities for the theater department listed on the website. I tried to get a job videotaping the football team at practices and was successful. I originally thought i'd be working six days a week but it turns out i'm only working two to three. My classes are Health/Wellness (boring, mandatory, but only half semester), Physics (boring because of bad teacher), Acting I (good teacher), Women's Chorus (oddly enough we're really small this semester and i'm singing second soprano again; we're going to be singing in French, German, Hebrew, and Spanish), and Spanish I (which is going pretty well).

It's not bad but it is four days a week. I'm enjoying it mostly except for the weight of my backpack and the fact that i had two auditions last week (mandatory for my major) that went bad and okay respectively. I have to drop a class because if i am cast in anything rehearsals will be during that time. They expect us to drop everything and be at their beck and call Sun-Mon evenings (so the fact that i work in AWANA is held against me). The worst of it is that i hoped to make it to American Idol auditions in Denver and i have another mandatory audition that weekend and if i skip it my chances of being cast in West Side Story are probably zilch.

I've been looking for a beanie visor knitting pattern because i saw this cool hat at the PacSun outlet that is beyond my budget. I can't find a pattern for a beanie visor per say so i'm going to have to add the visor to a beanie pattern. I'm starting to get really excited about snowboard season and knitting some stuff to match my board. More on that to come!

No comments: