Friday, June 05, 2009

rearranging my schedule

When i registered for the fall at the end of March, i was pushing forward, trying to graduate as soon as possible, and worried about how i'm ever going to be able to bring my gpa back up. i basically wasted an entire year, first when i was working at KJCT overtime and flunked out of all my classes (three of which i have retaken and passed), the second semester where everything was over the internet and i dropped the ball during my then-boyfriend's visit (i passed one class with a C, one with a D and flunked the rest, one because the teacher would not work with me and did not accept some of the work i turned in, the other because i gave up). Basically, it turns out that in order to graduate i will need to retake one of those internet courses (but it will not be offered again until next Spring), and i could retake some of the others to bring my gpa back up significantly (i have already brought it up some through a year of good grades). So my schedule was purely graduation driven for the most part, and i was scheduled to take:

ENGL 421 History of Literary Criticism
ENGL 492 Senior Seminar in Writing
ENGL 381 Creative Writing:Fiction
ENGL 296 Topics: Sci-Fi Fantasy
KINA 168 Hatha Yoga & Relaxation

The Sci Fi / Fantasy class i would really love to take but don't need, it's just another elective (and would be more helpful to me as a 300 course). The Yoga is for my back. The first three classes i will have to take sooner or later, they are all required for my major. i felt like i was in a nearly perfect position for graduating next spring.

And then... i discovered that my grandma, Frankie, is taking Katie and Sammy on a cruise, and i really yearned to go. So after much deliberation i have totally juggled my fall schedule to be far less intense (which, to be honest, the break will be very welcome, as last semester's pressure was very stressful) and be able to go on said cruise without totally wrecking my college career. Even if i had pressed ahead, i do not think that i could have graduated next spring because my upper level English courses have a gpa that is too low. i will have to retake the English class that i blew off for Brad in order to graduate, even though it makes no sense from a career point of view (it's not a fiction course, i never should have taken it in the first place), but that will be next spring. So it appears that i will most likely (hopefully) be graduating in Fall 2010. My Fall 2009 course load is now as follows:

On Campus
KINA 168 Hatha Yoga & Relaxation I (for my back)
KINA 141 Mountain Biking (for fun, and in hopes of increasing my cycling skill and opening up new racing opportunities)
MUSP 258 Women's Chorus (i've been missing Mrs. Niles)

Online
SOCO 144 Marriage and Families (retaking this Sociology course with the same professor, i hope i don't regret it)
ARTE 118 History of Art, Prehistory to Renaissance (required for the Art Minor i don't know that i'll ever finish)

Waitlisted
Online - ENGL 343 Language Systems and Linguistic Diversity (another attempt to pick up an upper level elective and bring up my gpa; it should look good on my transcript)
On Campus - MASS 320 Fundamentals of Photojournalism (a very popular course, i don't know if i'll be able to get in: i would not be able to miss any classes before the cruise)

So it looks and feels like i'm slacking in a way, but i think it will round out my transcript and education nicely. It really hinges on me getting into my waitlisted classes in a way, i need one more class (i haven't dropped the Creative Writing: Fiction class yet as a result). i thought about taking World Geography again (failed while working at KJCT), but it would be in Montrose, and i'm not sure they would like me missing 2-3 classes, and i wouldn't be able to take Chorus again. i might switch it back, but i really don't want to commute that again (i did so for my second semester of Spanish). i don't know which of the two waitlisted classes i would rather take (both have pros and cons), but this does mean that i will need internet access on the cruise. It also means that my work schedule will become utterly plausible, even easier than this past semester, but will require me to shift to working MWF instead of TR. Maybe i could get some Saturdays off? Of course, i would prefer just to film the football team again, but i don't know if that's going to happen.

Things i will most likely have to buy:
my own mountain bike or a hybrid bike (can't use Mom's forever)
a nice digital camera (or use the camera Grandpa Jocko gave me, which uses film, an added expense)

All in all, i'm excited.

No comments: