Sunday, December 11, 2011

43 things and 100-up

I've been working as a cashier again as seasonal help.  When i did this before i was in better shape and am pretty sure that i had shorter shifts.  I know i did after it became part-time and no longer seasonal because i was still in school.  This is even how i funded the training for my first triathlon.  But now...i have gained weight and am working nine hour shifts.  It was brutal for the first 4-6 weeks i'd say.  I think that i have lost a little bit of weight and now i usually only get really sore on Saturdays...after working 2-3 of these shifts in a row.

I really want to start training again.  I have been wearing my latest pair of running shoes while at work and have been considering alternative methods of shodding my feet once i start working out again.  In fact, i started thinking about it just as soon as i had bought these shoes.  Oh the irony,  but now these shoes do have a use and i have a little cash influx i'm wondering if i should splurge on some Vibrams or just wait a while and see what the new year brings to the shoe market.  I tried some on at REI and did like them a lot, but of course i haven't run in them and they only had black in my sizes.  I don't want black shoes because that would be horrible in the summer.  I do live in the desert after all.  Now i'm being crazy and even wondering if i should be wearing shoes like Vibrams 24/7...at work and casually, if not at church.  I am so over high heels and quickly discovered that taking my shoes off for a while does help when your feet are screaming at you.

So my resolution for the new year...is to start training again and to actually write about it.  I am also seriously considering making a transition into barefoot running.  To that end i think i'll probably at least try the 100-Up challenge (for some reason, 43 Things won't let me add this as a goal, but it's still one that i'm making) as detailed in an article written by Christopher McDougall (author of Born to Run).  I think that the biggest challenge to my training right now is simply finding time to do it.  Forget money, or even a place to swim (which i figure i can largely ignore for the time being as it is my strongest event), i am working five days a week and have no source of independent transportation.  I feel like i have even less free time now than i did when i was still in school.  Besides my cashiering 30-35 hours a week i am teaching knitting classes one day a week.  I hardly have time to game, and usually only make it to the grocery store to buy lunches about once every two weeks.  Most of all, i don't know if i should hope to be unemployed (save the teaching position) come January or try to keep this job.  I don't know what i should be doing.  Hopefully i have it figured out soon.

No comments: