Friday, June 16, 2006

that pesky little question

The question everyone has been asking me for weeks now is: "Why in the world did you shave your head?!?" i always want to quote Shaw and say "Why not?" But the truth is that there are many answers to this question on multiple levels.

Firstly, because i've always wanted to see what it would be like! i've always thought that Demi Moore looked sexier with a shaved head (as seen in G.I. Jane). Sigourney Weaver shaved her head in one of the Alien movies (the third one, i think). Natalie Portman shaved her head for V is for Vendetta (which i haven't seen yet) and looked fabulous. Geneva Locke and Kyley Statham had their heads shaved for Dark Angel. i wanted to know what i would look like, had been wanting to do it for years, and decided that it was finally time to take the plunge. If not now, when?

Secondly, i am not a lesbian, nor a skinhead, i'm just trying something new.

Thirdly, i'm always hot in the summer, especially when my hair is on my neck.

My mother thinks that it's important for a woman to cover her head with long hair--if not a head covering--as specified in 1 Corinthians 11. Some might argue that since i have prophecied with my head uncovered in the past i should have my head shaved anyway. But covering my head would also indicate submission to my father that--let's face it--isn't exactly there anymore as i have chosen to be in submission to God alone until i am married. i don't consider myself to be under my father's authority anymore, not since i moved away. This passage also says that a woman's hair is for her glory... i don't want to be glorified right now. i feel ugly. i know that i'm outwardly beautiful, but i feel wretched because i'm sinful, fat, and depressed. i don't want to be glorified, i want God to be glorified.

All Nazarites shave their heads after their vow is fulfilled or if they are made unclean (Numbers 6)... this includes women. So i thought that shaving my head would be okay with God, even if i'm not taking any special vow. Also, i had read in the Bible (Job 1:20-22) references to cutting hair in mourning, which was one of the main thing that attracted to me to the idea in the first place. But then i read a verse (but do not remember where) that led me to believe that one shouldn't cut their hair in mourning... i'm not sure, in any rate when i shaved my head i did it more with the intention of not mourning anymore, of not dwelling on my unhappiness but focusing on God and seeking His will. i don't know if i have accomplished this or if ignoring my pain (which eventually leads to stuffing it back inside) is good or not. Anyways, these were my reasons, i hope they have been informative.

No comments: