Thursday, February 05, 2009

Cto5k W6D2 redux and negative musings

The first half of my workout was hard... i could feel my diaphragm in an unpleasant way and my calves were tight. Halfway through i got hot enough to take off my hoodie, did my walking interval, and the second half sailed by. i'm not saying that it was easier, but it wasn't a push to keep going anymore. My mind started wandering, i kept counting the laps and telling myself "# left to go" or "2/3 done" etc. i'd say it was the first time i could think about other things w/o worrying about losing my stride or forgetting the right way to breathe, it just came naturally. i probably didn't push myself hard enough, but then, i felt uncomfortable at the beginning and it was just enough that i was doing it without any shortcuts.

My teacher in U.S. Lit, however, had irritated me again. i raised my hand several times and she didn't call on me. How am i supposed to participate in class if she won't let me? i've been getting irritated far too easily lately, the other day a woman bought a bunch of stuff for a wedding, all of it half or 66% off, and she had the audacity to ask for an additional 10% discount due to the size of her order. i called the manager, who of course said no, and then later she asked about a yellow ticketed item that was missing a lid getting an additional discount. i explained that yellow ticket items are sold "as is" and that i can't mark them down any more, that it is already 66% off, and she said:

"You don't have to be ugly about it. We could just buy all of this somewhere else."

This in the midst of ringing up and wrapping over $500 worth of ugly merchandise for her daughter's wedding. Her daughter and--i presume--her sister said nothing; perhaps this sort of behavior is usual for her. i apologized, saying that i meant no offense, i wasn't trying to be rude, i only meant to explain... she was still snippy. She was buying over $1200 worth of stuff. Robert would have told her to just take her business somewhere else and gotten back in her face, i am not so rude. i barely held it together, though, i wanted to cry, or rant and rail, and it was very hard not to complain about it all night, but i was professional and just continued to do my job.

i don't know if i'm overtired or just getting fed up with people's superficiality. At the college, there's a work study position being advertised by the same man that i applied to last semester: he told me that he was going to call me if a position opened up. i'm not going to go in there and chew him out, beg for the job, why should i do that when it's obvious that he's rude and/or disorganized and/or a liar? Besides, work study doesn't last over the summer. i guess i'll have to continue working at Hobby Lobby and just take it until i can find something better.

No comments: