Tuesday, September 01, 2009

black and blue

Mountain bike class is proving to be frustrating. i am the slowest person in class. i was doing pretty good at the beginning (despite getting stuck in a rut and skinning my left knee at the beginning of the ride), but everyone but one guy took off. i held back so he wouldn't be alone... and then he just pushed past and left me in the dust! Later on when i finally caught up he said he felt sick, and i couldn't help but feel the slightest bit smug. It was hot (though cooler than last time), and about 2/3 of the way through i lost steam, was so hot, and then my body started freaking out and getting cold. i wasn't sure that i was going to make it, and once again it was just me and the teacher to the finish (well, he rode ahead and paused periodically, which is rude and not safe, but there you go). Then i accidentally locked my back break on the last big hill and my back tire skidded out, so i fell and scraped my right outer calf pretty bad. i was so frustrated, both by being left behind and not being able to keep up as well as the fact that everyone was too big of a jerk to wait for me. And of course at the end of the ride the teacher told me that i need to be riding more on the days that there is no class, but where am i supposed to find the time and how am i supposed to do that when i have NO ONE to go with me and you're always supposed to ride in a group of three.

So this afternoon was very frustrating, but i have already improved so much, my form is there i just need more endurance and practice. i'm sticking with the yoga class motto, though, which is something like: "I am not competing against anyone except my former self." In a way i am very proud of myself because a year ago i weighed 265 and there is no way that i would have been able to take this class. Now, i may be the heaviest person in the class, and i may be a bit slow, but i am totally kicking that girl's butt.

No comments: