Tuesday, September 08, 2009

i almost forgot!

Did i mention the girl in my class who i thought was going to be slower than me? She's not. Today, after she got her bike out of the back of the truck she carpools in, she rode up to me full tilt, skidded to a halt, and said loudly:

"I meant to tell you, I think you're a real inspiration!!!"

i was incredibly flattered and actually felt like i deserved the compliment, which is really unusual. It occurred to me today, when i was at the back of the pack again, my chain had slipped off, and i felt like i was about to hurl... i'm not used to riding with others, or running, or swimming. i have been training completely alone for almost a year now. i would like to be able to keep up with everyone, or even stay at the front of the pack. But my goal is always the same...

i'm not competing against anyone except my former self.

Maybe that will change in a year or two, but for now, it's working, so i'm sticking to it.

No comments: