Monday, May 16, 2005

changes

I borrowed my Mom's Casting Crown's CD last week and was blown away by the lyrics. It was surprising to me that i already knew about half the album. I knew they toured with Steven Curtis Chapman, so i figured they'd be good, but they're really good. They've got awesome lyrics.

I went to the Democratic, Republican, and Libertarian websites last night and read the party platforms. At least, i tried to read them. The Dems and Reps platforms were both full of, er, trash, and didn't actually say much of anything. The language was impossible to read. The Libertarian site was much more informative and understandable. I was and wasn't surprised to find that i really agreed a lot with what the Libs platform and site said. I'm not saying that i'm ready to change parties or anything, but i'd say that i agreed with the content on the Libs site more than the Reps and found the Dems junk just as offensive as i imagined.

I don't hate Democrats. I just feel like the leadership is misguided and scared and their constituents are misguided and underinformed. Everyone else can believe whatever they want to believe... which is i guess the main reason that i seem to be a closet libertarian and i didn't even know it. Libertarians are more conservative and liberal than Republicans at the same time. They just sound a lot like me is all. Who i've become.

My idea of what an American is has been changing. I don't think that Congress or the courts or schools or even the president can solve all our problems. I'm starting to believe that the fact that they're trying so hard to is most of the problem. And the Church... well i'm pretty upset with it as a whole, too. I think that's a big reason for me reading and writing about Harry Potter. I just don't feel like we should be trying to force our beliefs on people. Such as homosexuality. I am 100% against homosexuality morally, but politically i don't think it's my place or anyone else's (least of all the government) to tell homosexuals to stop, that they can't get married, etc. To me, America is freedom: freedom from, freedom to. It's the Church's job to love homosexuals and witness to them. Not try to change them, because we can't: only God can. We're not doing enough of that.

I'm really worried about this country and the church.

No comments: