Wednesday, April 08, 2009

last night... SDP W1D2 / TriTraining W1D2

This day had been sooo weird. My first two classes of the day were canceled. i'm petsitting for a friend of my mother's again (for free, but hey, she has satellite and the house is quiet). i'm so ready for my third day of triathlon training.

So yes, i am taking the plunge and starting to train for my first triathlon, the Highline Hustle Sprint Triathlon at Highline Lake June 13. The distances are swim 500m, bike 16 mi., and run 3 mi., in that order; there are new exercise tickers at the bottom of my blog to reflect my new goals. The good news: my running is already where it needs to be on race day, and i don't think i'll have that much trouble coming up to speed on my biking and swimming. The bad news: i thought i had eleven weeks to train, but i only have ten because the race has been moved up a week compared to last year to (i had thought the race was June 20th). i'm using TriNewbies 10 Week Sprint Distance Program - Beginner (which is actually ten weeks of training and then an easy eleventh week before the race) for my training, and will just have to combine week 1 and 2, but as i said, i'm already there physically and the running in their program is a big step back for me. So as far as my running i'm going to finish out week 9 of Cto5k and then start doing some shorter intervals (probably 5-10 minutes in length) and possibly some speed drills. So i have a lot of work ahead of me, workouts five days a week, serious bike riding for the first time ever, and serious swimming for the first time in about ten years (wow, it's hard to believe it's been that long). i plan to swim 200 yards this afternoon and bike 8 miles Sat. or Sun. (at the moment i'm on Thur. even though it's only Wed... it will probably be better for me to work out on Sundays once AWANA ends for the year, but right now that's a better day off for me than Mondays).

Bad thing about petsitting... the case of Coca-Cola in the fridge and abundance of junk food in the house. Good thing about petsitting... built in work out partners.

No comments: