Friday, April 10, 2009

Tri Training ... just let me swim

The ironic thing is that last night when i left work i was raring to go: my arms were killing me, but i was dying for a bike ride. i decided that i needed the rest day. This morning i woke up feeling bleh. i kept meaning to go running but finishing an assignment took me longer than i thought it would and i really just did not feel up to it, even after having salmon and stir fry for lunch. So i went swimming but pushed myself to 300m even though it was only meant to be a 200m week. i took my time, breast stroked the first 25m, did 30 bobs, crawled 175m, breast strokes 25m, crawled 50, and cooled down the last 25 with the breast stroke. i talked to the girl that i shared the lane with last time today, she was nice. She is sooo fast, but her form could really use some work (she splashes too much an her flip turn is really far from the wall). Then right when i was ready to leave a older gentlemen got in and it turns out that he's training for the Highline Hustle, too, so i'll probably be seeing both of them from time to time. The good thing about my workout today is that i kept my heartrate under control and paced myself. i should have stayed in the water for a while longer to cooldown, but i was in a hurry to get back to the house: i have no idea why as i had nothing special planned.

i did stop by the Bike Shop and REI this afternoon. i didn't see anything at the Bike Shop that jumped out at me other than training computers. i don't know if i need one, but they're more expensive at REI. At REI i tried on a lot of stuff, the two tri tops, two tri bottoms, two pairs of bicycle shorts that are composed of two layers, a couple of bras, and a pair of running capris. i should say that some of the stuff i tried to try on but was too small, the bras being chief in my mind. The Danskin Tri items were way too tight and uncomfortable, which surprised me because i like to buy their stuff at Wal-Mart to work out in. The Zoot shorts were a tad uncomfortable, but the top was great except for the awkward piping that should be under my breasts but was in the middle of them instead. i hate being busty. The typical cycling shorts are not my thing at all, my butt may feel great but it looks horrible in spandex, not to mention that some of the items were semi-see-through. What i really liked was the casual shorts and bicycle shorts in one, you can have the padding without giving people a reason to stare at you. So i'll probably get a Tri top (not sure about 1X or 2X: the 1X was a little tight, but not overly so) and wear some bikini bottoms or boy shorts to swim in, then pull on the bike shorts. i still do not want to get a wetsuit but i have a feeling that i should talk to the people who have swam the Hustle in the past to be sure.

So there's the rundown, my first week of training nearly complete (i'll bike 8 mi. tomorrow or the next day), and another week of school survived. As for the running: as i said, i'm not as worried about it at this point, i still haven't pushed the 3 mi. mark, but i'm confident that i will soon. i need to focus on my swimming and biking for a bit.

No comments: