Thursday, April 09, 2009

Tri Training W1/2D3

Well yesterday i swam 3 laps, and thinking myself all accomplished got out of the pool because the lane was getting crowded and i wanted to find a better place to do bobs. i was a bit wobbily, and then realized that i should have warmed up and that my heartrate was at the top of my zone. i need to be more careful about that, i was working myself too hard even though i was the slowest person in the lap lanes.

Luckily i asked a lifeguard how far across the pool was: turns out it's 25m across and i had only done 150m (i had thought it was 50m across). After doing some bobs and working on my form against the wall, i did three more lengths in the lap lane, bringing my total of the day up to 225m. So i did better than the last time i did laps last August, but overall: i have my work cut out for me in the water. Today is an off day, and i'm so sore in the arms. My form was sloppy yesterday, probably mostly because my arms were tired and breathing in the pool is so different than breathing while running. Swimming is definitely going to be my biggest challenge in training.

i read an article at Tri-Newbies.com about how most swimmers train by swimming all out, at a speed where their heart rate is at the maximum level. As a triathlete that's bad because if one works too hard at the beginning of the race they will be worn out before they even get to transition, and the fatigue and elevated heartrate snowballs from there. In a triathlon the competitors never get a chance to rest, so if one's heartrate is too high at the beginning, it will never come down enough to make up for that. i'm already a slow swimmer, always have been, my hope is that i can get my breathing to a level where i can swim comfortably without getting my heartrate too high.

i think that i'll go swimming and running tomorrow both, because that's the workout for W2D1 (in fact i think all the swims are followed by a run or walk from W3 on) and if i go after 5:30 it will cost less than $3. i'm thinking about getting the punch card, which will only be good until Memorial Day (and again after Labor Day), but i can share it with Mom or my aunt. Each swim costs less than $3 if i go that route, and if i can go halvsies or thirdsies on it, so much more the better. After that i'll probably get a gym membership, at least until race day, but right now i'm going to the gym at the college, where the pool is currently closed for construction.

Now to figure out whether or not i need a wet suit, helmet, and heart rate monitor (which is probably maybe, yes, and yes). i almost definitely need to get a swim cap, goggles, and new suit.

No comments: