Saturday, May 30, 2009

Oh no! The dreaded 666th post!

Yesterday Katie and i headed to Highline Lake for a training session. She floated in the swimming area while i swam in open water for the first time, about 576m in all, following the buoys and fighting the boat wakes. i breast stroked a lot more than usual, and rested more, partially because one length was about 72m long (i'm still not really used to swimming 50m straight). So the swim took longer than usual, but i felt really strong during the breaststroke, it kind of helped with the wakes because i could stroke when the water was high and breathe when it was low without too much effort.

Next, Katie and i ran and walked the Highline Lake Trail, partially on the East Bluff Loop, running about 15 minutes (not continuously!) and walking the rest. It was really hot at first and had really rough terrain (steep hills and very narrow path). The Highline Lake Trail proper was easier but by that time we were worn out and i had a blister. It got cool about 2/3 of the way through, there were great views, but i couldn't help but think it would have been more enjoyable (yet nerve racking) on a bike. It was my first time out with my tri shorts, which felt a little weird to run in at first. Using the online mapper at mapmytri.com was difficult, it came up with 3.45 miles, but i think it was farther than that. I had a Razz Clif Gel between my swim and run as well.

Tonight, after work, i ran around 5k / 3.1 mi. i had a Strawberry Clif Gel, and my run went a lot better. My blister finally stopped hurting about 2/5 of my way through (it bothered me all day at work), in the middle of my second interval (i ran 30 minutes in all, 3 ten minute intervals). My walking intervals were pretty long, next time i'll run more and walk less, maybe get even farther.

i didn't feel good about my performance at Highline Lake, but feel really good about how i did tonight. i figure that the portion of the Highline Lake Trail that we skipped was way easier than what we were doing (it sure looked that way from across the little valley). i'm probably challenging myself more than i should be, which is discouraging in a way because i'm not making my mark, but encouraging because i am getting farther than i would have ever dreamed a year ago. i was starting to think that there was no way i would be able to finish this thing with any semblance of time, but the water should be less choppy on race day (no wakes to fight against), the climate will be much cooler (early morning instead of mid-afternoon), and i will have another week and a half of training under my belt. It's getting to the line here.

Incidentally, i got my tri shorts at about 2/3 of list price because the lady at the Bike Shop felt so bad about my delays in getting them. They fit great, a little looser than i expected actually. i adjusted my shoes tonight, too, because they were laced up one hole too high, which i think was the cause of my problems. Tomorrow i need to do laundry and will ride 20 miles on Mom's bike if it kills me... but i won't be riding up any big hills. i think i might go out the dirt road and see what it's like out that way because i've never been that far out it.

No comments: