Saturday, November 19, 2005

HP madness

Yes, i went to a midnight viewing. My mom took it well but my dad had to make a bit of a deal about it. At breakfast this morning he said that there is "black magic" in it and that my sister and i were wrong to go. After i left (i bit my tongue) my sis says that my Mom said that Rowling used spells right out of a real magic book. I was understandably upset. I can't believe people (Christians, no less) are still spreading these lies. If the words Harry Potter uses to cast spells are evil then everyone out there needs to stop learning Latin now (bad homeschoolers and studiers of the classics! bad bad bad! (; ). That's what all the words are, Latin for what the person wishes to do (some mixed with a bit of other languages like French or Arabic). Need a little light? Lumos is the word for light. Want to put out the light? Nox is the word for dark. Use your head please, that's why God gave it to you.

I'm sorry if being so blunt offends you; but at the same time i'm not. It's not that i have all the answers, but there are a few things about which i know a great deal, and this is one of them. People who don't listen to me often seem to make themselves look ridiculous because of said lack of listening and it's all on them. Let me see if i can make this crystal clear: 1) Rowling is a Christian. 2) Harry Potter is make believe (this means pretend) and has nothing to do with magic (as it exists in the real world) whatsoever. 3) Real magic is wrong / evil / sinful, but again: Harry Potter has nothing to do with the real world, nor is it anti-God. 4) All of the content of these books pushes Godly behavior. The bad guys are portrayed as bad guys. The good guys are fallible but attempting to do what is right instead of what is easy. 5) God meant for us to use our imaginations: that's why He gave them to us. 6) There are many Christians who read these books and have no problem with it. 7) Many Christians actually see echoes of God's love in these pages and feel closer to Him because of it.

Whoever you are, you don't have to read Harry Potter if you don't want to. If you don't feel it will enrich your life, fine, it's your perogative to ignore them. But don't lie about things that you don't know anything about. Don't listen to other peoples' lies. I fully endorse finding out the truth for one's self; that's what Jesus told us to do, after all. If you want to know more but don't want to read the books yourself--but do want to hear much more detailed observations about Harry Potter from a Christian perspective--click on the button on the right that says "Gryffindor". That's my Harry Potter site. I have written a few essays (linked to right under the words Lumos Nox) that go deeper into my analysis of the lies versus the truth.

You don't have to listen to me if you don't want to, but then why would you want to perpetuate lies, live in the dark, or otherwise make a fool of yourself? Harsh words, i know, but sin is a serious business. Bearing false witness is forbidden in the ten commandments, after all ("Do not testify falsely against your neighbor" Exodus 20:16). I say all of this with a clear conscience... be sure you can do the same.

No comments: