Thursday, November 10, 2005

i remember...

...riding with my father in the yellow ex-mail-jeep, in the front seat, the doors off or open, the wind blowing in my hair, with a sour apple blow pop in my mouth.

...wearing knee high white tube socks, one pair with turquoise stripes, the other with lavender stripes.

...sitting on a pew with my father, learning how to tie my shoes, while my mother was in choir practice.

...running down a hill full tilt, trying not to fall down.

...eating little red berries off the tree behind the Sunday school wing.

...climbing up a huge tractor tire alone and being yelled at because i wouldn't help Megan climb up (even though i had always been told that i had to learn how to climb up alone and never receiving help myself).

...seesawing in the dark.

...learning how to swing while holding a rainbow pinwheel at sunset.

...sitting in a wooden firetruck, playing house, with the only boy who liked me in preschool, and promising to marry him when i grew up under the tree that grew next to the truck.

...accidentally swallowing the gum Dad gave me after he picked me up from preschool and being afraid that he would be mad.

...eating vanilla fudge marble ice cream with one of those funky tongue depresser sticks.

...opening my lunchbox and eating one Twinkie first, the other last.

...wanting to watch Smurfs and He-Man at my babysitters (because everyone else did!).

...being forced to watch Betty Boop at another babysitter's. Climbing up on a huge stump in the back yard, playing velcro-ball tic-tac-toe, crying when Megan pulled the tail off my calico cat doll.

...playing with the pompoms in the preschool nursery, proudly proclaiming that i was going to be a cheerleader when i grew up, and being laughed at. Wanting to play with Play-Doh and color and always being told no. Putting elmer's glue all over my hands just so i could peel it off. Watching Psalty and proclaiming "Beautiful is my favorite song" only to be met with hostility on the part of the other students.

...being forced to try to take a nap on green camp cots in the foyer of the church my preschool was at.

...putting my mouth on the drinking fountain while standing on a stepstool in said foyer.

...praying so hard to get to play the bunny at the Christmas pageant that was on my fifth birthday... and knowing that God heard my prayer and the answer was yes.

...Dad turning the lights off on a certain windy stretch of road on the way back from AWANA.

1 comment:

Brinna said...

Kristi, your memory about being a bunny made me cry.. :) It shows how great God is and how much He cares. About everything.