Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Tri2 W1D2+3...and Tri3?

So today i went into work at 8am, worked in the back for 4 hours (which is exhausting, standing on concrete, lifting heavy merchandise, etc.), and then got sent home early.  Instead of going home i headed to the gym at my alma mater (it sounds so weird to say that) and invested in a one month membership. The last time i was in training for a triathlon this gym and pool were in the process of being remodeled (i.e. torn down and start over from scratch, expanding in the process). I started (tentatively) swimming in the new pool after pulling my hamstring running but i'm not sure that it opened soon enough for me to swim there during my training. I know that the gym was only open in a limited capacity at the very beginning. But now it's state of the art. The stationary bicycles (of which there are at least three varieties) purportedly generate electricity for the school. Which seems amazing when you consider that most of them have a TV screen w/cable.  The pool is beautiful, so much cleaner than the pools run by the county Parks & Rec, and overall it's much more enjoyable except for the fact that i change in a teensy bathroom stall (i don't think anyone wants to see me change in the locker room).

So today i got my membership completed without too much difficulty. He looked me up in a directory of alumni, took down my address and phone number, took a picture of me with a digital camera, and gave me a card to scan when i come in, not unlike how it was at the Life Center when i first signed up twelvish years ago (only there they require you to have an intro session with a trainer at additional cost).  So i got my water out of my bag, checked it at a desk in the gym, and got on a new spinning bike.  First i had to figure out how to adjust the seat (hey, i'm short). Then i set it up (touch screen was sluggish).  And i start peddling.  The only trouble was that it was not registering my cadence or distance. So after ten minutes i switched to an old recumbent bike. Twelve minutes later i had ridden 2.5 miles and was certain that i had probably ridden farther on the first bike (though i have no proof of this) and called it five miles. The heartrate sensor insisted that my heartrate never went above 161 bpm. My rpm seemed pretty decent at 75-85 throughout the work out. The second bike said me speed was 13mph most of the time... which means it would take me 23 minutes to ride five miles but i am pretty sure that i was faster on the first bike.

Next i got into my swimsuit and got into the pool. It was relatively quiet with only two or three other swimmers in the lap area. I paused at the end of each length to take my pulse. My heartrate was about what it was on the bike (slightly higher after one length, but in the 150-160 zone) but it felt a little too high. It's like the water insulates you and you can feel your heart beating in your chest, almost like it's going too hard. Plus having your face i the water can be intimidating. I warmed up with 1 lap of breast stroke. After that i would swim 1 length of crawl, 1 length of breast. Over the course of the workout i went from breathing every third stroke to every other while doing the crawl. On the breast stroke i breathed every stroke hoping to keep my heartrate stable. And then to cooldown i swam a lap of sidestroke. So all together that was 150 breast, 100 crawl, and 50 side. I didn't end up doing the back stroke, my breathing and heartrate never felt out of control. I felt i did very well considering it had been so long since i've seriously done laps, my hair was in my face the entire workout, and my goggles were fogging up. Sometimes hair on my face freaks me out while i'm swimming. The swimming felt more intense than the biking, though that wore out my hands, i could tell my form was getting a bit sloppy at the end.


Downsides - i wasn't as prepared as i should have been for post-workout. I barely stretched and probably should have cooled down more. All of my clothes were gross. I had old shampoo and conditioner that i don't want to use anymore. I didn't have clean clothes with me. I had worked out in my work shoes, didn't think to bring vibrams or sneakers. I didn't drink enough water even though i had it with me. I forgot to weigh myself on their awesome scale.

Upsides - i actually swam farther than i was supposed to (oops) and rode on the same day. Most of my soreness has faded. I was not wiped out like i am sometimes after a swim (or starving). I feel like i'm coping well with the level of workouts that i'm attempting, which are challenging but not too strenuous. I have now completed a workout of each type. I can sleep in tomorrow (working late). I have now have someplace to lift weights, swim, and work out if the weather gets colder again.

Thoughts - I am really wondering if i can manage two triathlons three weeks apart. I am curious to see if i could improve upon my time each time and if i will be stronger on the road run or slightly longer trail run.  The first bike will be shorter (if the HH has the old course) and part of it is different, too. I'm undecided and will probably hit up some forums and articles before i decide for sure. But i need to decide soon to take advantage of the cheaper price.

Doing some admin stuff, sitting around feeling drowsy, feeling accomplished. I know, i have a long road ahead of me, but i can't help it. I'm doing great so far. I need to be more careful about pacing now.

No comments: