Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tri2 W4D1+2

D1 - Yesterday i ran and swam but didn't really feel like it went well. During my warm up i got a tight spot in this area right below my right glute but kind of on the outside. I say below, what i mean to say is that i think it was the lower edge of my glute, but i'm not 100% sure what muscle it was. It didn't feel good and worried me. I tried to stretch it out, but it didn't really give, so i decided to run tentatively. I simultaneously felt like i had started too fast and was going too slowly. I soon had a stitch in my left side that persisted throughout my workout. I ran 21 minutes (per the schedule) and felt like i did horrible only to later find out that it was a better pace than usual. But my swim felt weak, too, and was slightly slow for me (possibly because i did a lot of breaststroke). My shoulders just felt shot and the pain (in my butt/hip) was there my entire run and swim. Later that night my butt was killing me and the pain migrated to my hamstring. Today it seemed fine, merely a little twingy.

D2 - It was snowing this morning when i wanted to ride and i just didn't get it together and go. It's more convenient to go late on Tuesdays because i have my second job and a Bible study (usually Beth Moore).  I decided to try the spinning bikes out with mixed results. I had tried one before that wasn't working as far as cadence and distance. So i switched partway through my warmup to a new bike when it opened up. For the first half of my workout i didn't feel like i was pushing myself hard enough. I was spinning at about 95 rpm, and it wasn't too easy, but i couldn't figure out how to make it harder. I finally figured out that there's a knob that you have to physically turn, but i couldn't seem to get it to work right. The rest of the workout it would feel too easy but during the "climbs" the computer would want me to increase the resistance and spin at 60-80 rpm. I couldn't get it below 80 without the wheel seizing up/nearly stopping and bothering my knees. So for my climbs i had to keep going faster (85 rpm at the lowest) and i kept increasing the tension but it just didn't seem to be working well.  I also discovered that any time i tried to stand up the bike would stop and jolt, spitting one of my feet out of the toe cage. So i sat the entire time but my butt/sit bones were killing me by the end. Then during my cool down i reduced the tension and it got to the point where the bike seemed to be pushing my legs for me. By the time i got off of the dang thing it was very hard to walk slowly. I wanted to run. Save for my sore butt i felt like i could have gone farther, a 35 minute spin, for nearly 13 miles.  I seem to go farther faster on the spinner than on the stationary bike.  Next time i have to bike at the gym i will try one of the new bikes that i hadn't even realized were there until tonight (oops). It looks like they have a video game type experience where you're riding through an artificial environment during your workout. But hopefully it will warm up soon and i will actually be able to ride my own bike outdoors without freezing or being blown over. My baby needs a tune up desperately but i think it will do me good to actually ride a real bike. I finished off tonight's workout by weightlifting with my arms, chest, and back. I didn't have time for anything else and was one of the last people to leave before closing.

Fortunately that pain didn't come back in my glute today on the bike (i think that the stationary bike might be partly to blame for that). I would really be gutted if i hurt my hamstring again. I'm pretty sure i was stretching my glutes and hamstrings out in my sleep last night. Tomorrow i think i'm going to run instead of walking. I feel like i'm not working hard enough (have done the entire time i've been training save for that one 9 mile ride) but am hesitant to increase the intensity my workouts too much. Here's hoping that tomorrow will be even more awesome than today's workout was.


No comments: